Friday 13 January 2012

Day 4 - 13th January 2012

Friday is the day I travel back from Denmark to Scotland.  I usually get a direct flight to Glasgow around lunchtime, but today I had to stay later at the office to do a presentation, so it was a convoluted and much longer trip back via Amsterdam .  This was always going to impact my exercise schedule, but I managed to keep in control of the food.

FOOD
Brekky – Four pieces of cooked ham, slices of red pepper, some tomatoes and cucumber. Glass of water

Lunch Canteen salad bar. Four slices of roast pork, cheese, green peppers, onions, cucumber and one egg.
Dinner  Had dinner at the airport. Initially I thought this was going to be a challenge with all the noodle,  pizza and pasta places I had used there in the past. What I hadn’t seen before was the Hereford  Steak House, who promise to have your steak at your table in 12 minutes max! I went for a 200g rib eye on its own (if you don’t count the wee bit of parsley) and I also took the all you could eat salad option. Had two visits to the salad bar and it was very, very good. Had lots of jalapenos, olives (are they ok?), cucumber, pickled onions, peppers, broccoli, spinach and raw mushroom. Steak was fantastic quality, although I asked for it rare and it came medium rare. I reckon it’s those burning hot plates they serve them to you on. The steaks probably leave the grill rare and have cooked a bit more by the time they arrive at your table!
Snacks – Two bananas, some roast chicken bits.
Drinks – Green tea and black tea. Loads of water. Had two drams of Ardberg’s finest when I got home. (A leaving gift from my previous job. Thanks folks, it’s delicious)
Today’s question is about Diet Coke. I’ve been told by more than one person to avoid Diet Coke, but that Coke Zero should be ok. I can’t remember exactly why. Can someone remind me?! Also, are there similar issues with other low calorie drinks? I’ve got a bottle of 7 Up Free in the fridge. Is it ok to drink it?!!
EXERCISE
No gym today due to work and travel. This actually irritated me a bit and I suppose that’s a good thing. Instead I used as many stairs as I could, even if it was a spurious look around CPH airport. Had some luck on arriving at AMS airport for my transfer. The inbound plane parked at the end of the B pier and my outbound flight was at the end of the D pier. I don’t think you can actually get gates that are further apart at AMS. So, I avoided the excellent moving walkways they have for dealing with these long distances and just walked along the floor. At times I was trying to keep up with people who were on the moving walkways, but I reckon they had about 1kmph on me.
Tomorrow’s cunning plan is to do a 6km walk in the morning. Hopefully the weather in Glasgow will be as good as it (apparently) was today.  

2 comments:

  1. That was the second hardest day you'd be doing as a travelling man. WELL DONE. The hardest one is the sort where you are up early and in to work. End of day activites surely test your willpower then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Erle. That'll be Monday then! Make sure I stay on track!

    ReplyDelete