Friday 27 January 2012

Days 14 to 18 – 23rd to 27th January 2012

Hello everybody! 

This is the biggest gap between posts since I started and it now feels that it’s probably the correct frequency, unless something significant occurs in between posts. This was also the week of the Burns Supper, which was always going to be a challenge to my dietary plans! It turned out not too bad on that front I reckon, and it was also a fantastic night catching up with Ken, Dave, Craig and others whom I hadn’t seen for quite a while.

WEIGHTS & MEASURES
So, the weekly Tuesday weigh in at the gym took place as usual. I’m delighted to say progress is still being made as I clocked in at 99.6kg. Breaking 100kg made me feel very happy as you can imagine. For the record here are the results of the weekly weigh in jury…

Week 1 – 101.7kg
Week2 – 100.5kg
Week 3– 99.6kg

In a previous post I mentioned using Wii Fit to weigh myself and track progress. I was pleased to find out that it is completely in line with my weigh ins at the gym. This gives me some confidence in the accuracy of the measurements! On the Wii Fit you have an Avatar known as a Mii. It actually gets fatter/slimmer based on your BMI.  My Mii is still a bit rotund, but slightly less so this week.  Just like Mii.

FOOD

1.       A review of anything new I’ve tried that is ‘in scope’.
I haven’t taken on any of Susan’s soup recipes yet but when I do I would like to publish the recipe and results if she is cool with that. I’ll check with her.  Karen gave me a great curry recipe book for Christmas and it had its first outing tonight. Scarlett and I made a fantastic chicken and spinach curry which was really tasty and low in carbs and fat. Scarlett’s mum loved it!

2.       Passing on recommendations from others. (Do’s and Don’ts)
I have finally settled down to the controlled carbs approach. This means I’m not eating very much carbs but hopefully they are ‘good carbs’.  Have been doing muesli in the morning, which has been great, but I reckon porridge is the better option from a carb perspective. Both Clare and Susan put me on the porridge path and I will try to stick to it while working away.

3.       Stories of me straying from the true path (and seeking forgiveness!)
Burns Supper!
Ate the haggis and the neeps but not the tatties!
Had three glasses of red wine
Loads of Highland Park
But…Lots of water


4.       Questions that I haven’t been able to get an answer to (yet).
On food labeling is there a good ratio between total weight and the amount of carbs and the amount of carbs that are sugars? And what about starch? For example….

Porridge              100g   Carbs 60g   Carbs that are sugars 1g
Rice Krispies      100g   Carbs 87g   Carbs that are sugars 10g Starch 77g !!

Any insight into these ratios would be gratefully welcomed.


EXERCISE
In Copenhagen things have been going great based on Jimmy’s programme. This week though I have been working from home for a couple of days, so I attended the local ‘council gym’ down at East Ren in order to keep the momentum going (22 quid for induction plus 4 additional visits).  It’s not as spacious but it’s pretty well equipped and the folk there were really helpful. However, some of the machines for developing the areas I’m targeting are designed differently and I discovered that you can’t compare like with like when it comes to weights. The result is that I have injured myself by going too hard and too heavy on one of the machines. Deep Heat has been applied to the offending area. I’ll discuss the injury and my ‘other gym’ strategy with Jimmy on Monday.
Bye !

2 comments:

  1. Well done with your weight loss Frank. That must be good motivation to keep at it. Don't have an answer re carbs / sugars but I'd suggest food that has the lower ratio is a better choice. The less processed a food is, the better, so eating an apple with the skin on is far better than a glass of apple juice for example. As your exercise regime continues / increases, hopefully you're being encouraged to stretch a lot. I've had to incorporate a lot more stretching to enable me to run but I really enjoy it almost as a stand alone routine. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Susan. Cheers. I do little or no stretching at the moment. This may have contributed to the back muscle problems I have. I need to learn some stretching exercises!

    ReplyDelete