Thursday 19 January 2012

Days 8,9, & 10 - 17th to 19th January 2012

So, back in Copenhagen and back on the straight and narrow. Have been in the gym every night since I got here and have been sticking to the dietary plan almost 100%. Fairly exhausted tonight though. I reckon this is an accumulation of fatigue throughout the week, so will probably still attend the gym tomorrow but keep it light. Bit of cycling or something. If you think this is a bit wimpy and that I should keep the tempo up, please let me know, and let me know why!

WEIGHTS & MEASURES
Day 8 was a Tuesday and this is the day of the week I have chosen to weigh myself on the scales at the gym.  Here are the results…

Day 1 Weight:  101.7kg
Day 8 Weight:  100.5kg

So that’s a loss of 1.2kg (or 2.6lbs in old money) during the first week. I have to say that I’m very pleased with that. However, something in the back of my mind says that there is often a first week dividend in weight loss when you commence a new diet. Not sure if this is true, but I will be happy enough if I continue to lose even 1lb each week.

Another measure I’m calculating is how much it’s costing me per visit to the gym (can’t help it). It cost me 120 quid for 3 months membership, and I have been to the gym 7 times now. So it’s now standing and 17.14 quid for each episode of torture! This is another driver to get me out the hotel room and into the gym when I get back from work.

FOOD
Going with the new structure for this section as outlined in the previous blog post, here goes…

1.       A review of anything new I’ve tried that is ‘in scope’.
It’s nice to eat out occasionally and there’s usually a steak on the menu in most places. However, this week I tried out the Kebabish that I spotted a week or so ago. The place itself is really basic, with almost a ‘greasy spoon’ feel to it. Their mixed grill though was absolutely fantastic. Seekh kebab, chicken tikka, lamb tikka and a lamb chop with some salad! Yum.  Will definitely be going back… soon!

2.       Passing on recommendations from others. (Do’s and Don’ts)
After the previous disappointment around chick peas and Bovril I’ve been looking for some good news. I think the answer is Coke Zero. I have been reassured (you know who you are!) that there is practically nothing in this but fizzy water, caffeine and some black colouring! :P
I have bought into this, and it is nice to have a fizzy soft drink that’s allowed. Saying that, I’ve always drunk a lot of water, so the Coke Zero is a nice to have.

3.       Stories of me straying from the true path (and seeking forgiveness!)
I have been a good boy!  The only thing maybe worth a mention is my visit to The Globe bar on Wednesday night to watch El Clasico. I had a few straight vodkas and ice with slices of lemon. I believe this is about as strict as you can get while still drinking alcohol. What do you think?

4.       Questions that I haven’t been able to get an answer to.
Here’s a question. Can I take on as much protein and fat in my food as I want as long as I avoid carbs? This is a message I’ve been getting from a number of sources, however it is counter intuitive to me based on how I’ve been educated on this subject in the past.  This is exactly my approach at the moment, but any thoughts on it?

Guacamole. Well? Good or bad?!


EXERCISE
For the last three days I have kept with the treadmill and then some weights. I’m still fast walking at 6.5kph but upping the challenge by increasing the incline of the walk. The majority of the time this is at 6%, but I drop to 4.5% or even 3% when it’s a bit of a struggle.
On Saturday (Day 12) at 9 am I have an hour with one of the trainer’s from the gym (Jimmy), so that puts the kaibosh on any Friday night pub shenanigans!  Also I got it wrong in my previous post about the class I am attending later that Saturday morning. It is ‘Kettle Cross’. Apparently it involves a big heavy kettle. The mind boggles.
Bye !

3 comments:

  1. Hi Frank, my thoughts on some of the questions you've posed. I'd encourage you to go to the gym (if you're goal is to go each night). Consistency wins out over motivation in an exercise regime. A Trainer I know suggests on those days you have to drag yourself there you do 10 minutes and if you still don't feel like it, go home. Very few people tend to leave but you have that as an out. I don't agree with protein + fat is fine so long as you stay away from carbs. You may drop the weight but what about your cholesterol / blood pressure etc. Everything in moderation is my view. You'll probably be using kettle bells, just another form of weights that's popular at the moment. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, the protein thing is right, though stay away from the fat if you can and limit it to 200g (~6oz). the old premiss of calories in has to equal of be less than calories out if you want to lose weight. what eating only the protein will do is allow your body to burn fat to feed your body rather than muscle, which is what you want.
    Not sure about guacamole... high in fats, you want to lose fats :-)
    Kettle Cross is good, you'll like it, builds up around muscle and core strength.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Susan. All your advice sounds eminenently sensible and I'm going to follow it!

    @Will You've corroborated @Susan's comments on fat and added a daily target as well. Cheers. This should stop me piling lots of cheese onto my plate alongside the salad! Shame about the guacamole (I suspected as much) but I'm now looking forward to the Kettle Cross following your feedback.

    Thanks to both of you for taking the time to comment. It really is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete